Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bump in My Road

I've run into a snag which seems to be unrelated to my surgery recovery. You may remember my dealing with PMR (polymyalgia rhumatica). It is a self limiting condition that seems to come out of nowhere. It hit me last January and continued until I would wean myself off prednisone in November. My surgeon said it is a "squirrely" malady and can show it's face again with surgery. It seems to have done so. The treatment for it is not appropriate right now because it would inhibit bone regrowth. So for now I'm dealing with some new (returned) pain in the large joints of shoulders, hips and knees. PMR goes away of it's own accord when it wants to. I'm sure many of you remember my words about it as I approached surgery. So for now this is my roadblock and limits my flexibility. I would appreciate your prayers for this.

All in all I am coming along well. There is much I can do for myself - dress & shower (takes about an hour), fix a sandwich, walk outside etc. I have to smile when I drop something on the floor because it is totally lost then. I have a "grabber stick" which allows me to pick up most lightweight and grabbable things. They told me I would have to figure new ways to do things and they were so right.

I am looking forward to the 1st post op visit next Monday. I will get to see an xray and see the paraphernalia in my back and also how the graft is coming along. If possible I'll try to include it in a post. I will most likely begin PT after this visit. I have no idea what that will be.

Thank you ALL for your interest and wanting more blogging. It's getting pretty mundane now isn't it. I'm still trekking up Mt Everest. I'm slow :(

4 comments:

Sandy Huff said...

Hi Cheryl: Yes, I remember the PMR episode. I hate it that it has raised its ugly head again. Hopefully, with adequate rest, it will resolve quickly without you having to take any contradictory medications. You really have done so well thoughout this. I can't imagine all that you have been through, but keep thinking about what Carissa said the hospital staff asked her, "is your Mom always this sweet." I know you have already been a blessing to so many people. I'm sure those considering this surgery will love having you to talk to. I miss you; WIS misses you; we ALL miss you. But, we will wait...we want you strong. Take care, love you, Sandy

Angelina said...

Dearest Cheryl,
Father hears all our prayers going up for you and he will heal you! We have NO idea why we have to trek up these mountains, but, one step at a time gets us there. Sometimes we must take the steps very slowly and how that changes how we see everything around us! You have shared this very experience with us and we love you for it. It has really helped me to look differently at little overlooked things.
I am praying for "Mr. PMR" leaves your body SOON! As well as praying that Groundhogs Day is one of GREAT joy for you this year!
I love you!
Connie
PS...my "word verification" for this blog post was "bonesses"!!! I found that funny!

Bob Creson said...

Well, dern...so very sorry, Cheryl. Dallas and I continue to pray that the Lord will give your strength for each day. Wish so much that you could be with us this next week in Orlando.

Ware said...

I can't wait to hear what the doctor has to say tomorrow. I hate that the PMR has returned ... will send up some prayers on that! When you're surfing the net ... check out Dr. Leonards ... they have a lot of handy helpers ... might give you some ideas if nothing else!
Love you! Ware