Friday, January 16, 2009

My Mt Everest

I've tried to come up with a mental/visual picture of recovery. I am leaning toward Mt Everest or a Marathon. It you are a marathon runner - please excuse my likening my trip to yours. Yours is much more heroic!

I am resting well at night (yea meds) which has given me more energy for the next day. I've moved from mega narcotics to more gentle narcotics. There is still regular and persistent pain but not nearly what it was. I still remember being in the hospital and the docs coming in asking how I felt! Good Grief -- what an unnecessary question. My response -- MY BACK HURTS. Wonder what they expected me to say!

If this "trip" is Mt Everest -- I think I'm at Base Camp 1. There are many things I cannot do but there are also things that I have energy to do. I have had enough energy to straighten the silverware drawer and spice cabinet. Sounds fun huh? It is purposeful and that makes me happy.

My first post op visit with the surgeon will be 2 weeks from Monday - Feb 2. At that time they will xray my spine and see how the bone graft is going. I would love to see some visual evidence that is is working. Don't know if I told you that my incision is about 20" long. It travels the length of almost my entire spine. Pretty incredible. Did I ever tell you what this hardware feels like? When I lay on my back it feels like I'm laying on an abacus board or a bed of marbles. I kind of feel like a turtle with this stuff on my back that doesn't really feel like it is part of me but which goes with me everywhere. The rods are stainless steel and will stay with me forever. I can't wait til I go through my 1st time at airport security. Maybe this will break up theTSA folks from their constant bantering with each other! I am told that in a year I will be able to touch my toes -- bending from the waist. Since I have never been able to touch my toes, I am somewhat skeptical but it would be fun. I am told that tying my shoes will eventually be doable but from where I am now I can't believe that.

I hope I haven't bored you too much. This part of recovery is pretty lackluster -- just plodding and pushing and doing a little something more each day. Wonder what cabinet or drawer I can work on next. The glitch is that the only things I can work on must be at waist height :)

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Hey Cheryl,
Thanks for keeping us updated so well. Your house will probably be very organized by the time you reach the top of Mt. Everest. If not, you can come start on my drawers :)
Keep up the good plodding, my friend. Love and hugs Nancy

Beth Herzinger said...

you are awesome. and worry not, the best progress often involves putting one foot in front of the other. baby steps. you'll get there.

hugs.

Paul Wright said...

Hi Cheryl,

As I read your note and pray for your progress, I can't help but hope your attending doctors and nurses visit this site each day. What will they learn from Cheryl that will bless the next patient they see?

Surely others with similar surgeries will be cheered by the obstacles you've overcome. How does one climb a mountain so high? Follow the path that Cheryl took, working hard each day, step by step.

You're my everyday hero and you inspire me to trudge on when I'm weary and the road gets rough.

Paul

Ruth and Don said...

Hello dear friend,
Don and I are close by today...visiting the kids for a multitude of January birthdays (3 in two days!). Somehow the closeness has brought you to my mind even more often than when we are far away. I'm so proud of you...and your faithful love slave :-)! Your love of life and trust in the Lord are a witness that touches my heart and "builds me up". So remember, you are accomplishing more than you know each day! You are ever in our prayers...Ruth