Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Typical Day in Recovery

Thought you might be curious about what a day is like in recovery. They are beginning a sort of pattern. You won't find them all that exciting :) but they are good in that I know each day puts me closer to doing more and feeling better.

I turn in about 7ish. The pain in my lower left back is pretty crummy by this time of day. This is the location of where there was a severe curve. The curve was so sharp that the vertebrae had fused in a curve of their own accord. The surgeon used a tiny saw to disconnect this fusion so that he could straighten out the curve. It helps me to visualize the site to know why it hurts. Anyway, I turn in about 7 and sleep comes quickly thanks to pain meds. I'm getting up 1-2x on my own now in the middle of the night and take another pain med about midnight.

I awaken anywhere from 7-8 AM. I know that once I get up the routine will need to start and I'll need to be engaged movement. Most of that involves 6 times a day to walk the hall upstairs. I am quite weary after that. I also know I'm weary because I break out in a sweat! Doug makes me a protein rich breakfast. I am told that my recovery requires the protein that a cross country skiier uses. I eat an egg, lots of citrus fruits and other fruits, cottage cheese, sliced deli turkey/chicken, sliced deli cheese, milk,peanut butter, whole grain bread, etc. I'm avoiding empty calories as they fill me up but do nothing for me. I'm not consuming large quantities -- mainly several small mini meals.

A hightlight of the day is the shower Doug gives me. That wonderful warm water falling upon me is a little bit of heaven. Washing my hair is so great. Grooming is nonexistent. Amazing how much time one can save if all you have to do is get your skin and hair clean.

The rest of the day is more walking, doing a little on the computer, reading a page or two, more walking, sitting, more walking, taking a break and lying down and over and over. I think this is much of what the weeks ahead will look like. Not real exciting but honestly they wear me out and I don't have much energy left to do anything that I'd consider fun or productive. I can only reach things at waist level - nothing under a sink, nothing on a shelf -- just waist high.

I greatly appreciate the emails and blog comments. I read all of them but hope you understand why many are not responded to -- just too much umph required.

One day in the future I'm going to post what my spine looked like the night before surgery. It is not an xray - just my skin, It's pretty wild. I'll also take a pix of the new spine with incision. It is hard to grasp how this was done. I'd love to see a movie of the operation -- just not a movie of MY surgery.

I cannot thank you enough for praying so faithfully -- even when you don't hear from me personally. These are such encouragements to me and keep me pushing. I wouldn't have to "report" to blogland that I'd been a slackard :)

8 comments:

Jo Ann said...

Hey dear friend,
So glad to hear what your day looks like and how your eating goes. It sounds like you are a soldier in the army, with so many routines and exercises. Keep up the good work, and eat those protein foods. We are cheering for you and prayed for you this morning during prayer time. It's great to know you are up so much of the time now, and hardly have time to nap. Rah! Rah! Rah! for our Cheryl in her recovery mode!
Looking forward to pictures. Praying you will soon be back with us at church; we miss you so very much! Take good care of yourself, and please know my love and prayers are with you, Jo Ann

Gloria said...

Cheryl,
I was so excited to read your post on what your day looks like. You are truly amazing. I can sense that same dedication to your recovery that you have toward your friends, family and the kingdom. We're all cheering you on - God knows this cheering squad! I'm delighted that you have so many people that have "your back." (I couldn't resist) Anyway, although you seem to be well taken care of, call on me if you need me. I'm looking forward to the day when we can talk.

Love,
Gloria

Carissa C. said...

I'm really happy to see you posting here. I love reading your reflections.

So many of my friends and clients have been asking how you are doing. It has been pure joy to say, "She is healing perfectly. She is amazing. She is a rock star." It's so true!

Nancy said...

We will miss you Tuesday night. Wish I ate as healthy as you do!
Love and hugs
Nancy

Sandy Huff said...

I've been wondering if you are getting bored. Sounds like you don't really have the energy to "do bored" right now. Thanks for sharing your day with us. You are the perfect patient -- I knew you would be. WIS won't be the same without you. I hope that your recovery happens sooner than you anticipated, and that you come back before too long (you don't even have to do your homework.) Love, Sandy

bikerboy said...

Cheryl,
What you've been through is just amazing. The fact that the doctors can do things like this boggles the mind; the fact that a person can come through it as well as you is just incredible! Keep it up. Those of us at the gym are looking forward to the day you can come back to us.

Jerry

Karen said...

Okay, I really think you should stop eating so healthy. Every now and then eat something... naughty. Take some advice from Buddy the Elf. His favorite foods are, in this order:
candy
candy canes
candy corn
syrup

Eat a little syrup just every now and then. PLEASE!!

Unknown said...

Yes! I am with Karen. Eat syrup now and then, preferably the way Buddy the Elf likes it: on top of loads of spagetti. Load up on some carbs along with protein (think "splurge").

We sure missed you at WIS....

Love,
Margie M.