Friday, January 2, 2009

Brains & Encouragers

I'm finding each phase of recovery is unique. The first part is very physical. The stage I'm in now continues to be physical but is also mental. Arnold Isley had warned us that long surgeries/sedations rob your short term memory thus making reading a book not all that much fun. If I'm not determined, I'll sneek into a little time to stretch out on the bed and low and behold I've fallen asleep. So I vascilate between trying to prop my eye lids open with tooth picks and giving in to sleep. I foolishly thought I would be able to do some long term planning, yearly goals, priorities, choose a "WORD" for the rest of the year. Huh! I don't know what day it is unless I look at my watch :)

I'm getting around more and more. I walk the upstairs hall many times a day. How glad I am for Benjamin Petty's pansies. I linger at the top window looking at them. Last year there were no pansies - no water. They are so cheerful looking.

I'm close to weaning myself off of night help. I can manage the bathroom well enough to make it alone I believe. That is another little baby step. It still takes a large amount of energy and I get to the bathroom sweating from exertion. I can tell I have my work cut out for me when I'm released to exercise again. Speaking of exercise, I'll need to figure out what I can do with this since flexibility won't be there. I can walk and eventually swim but don't know what else. Right now the fun will be trying to put socks on my toes when I can barely reach my knees!! There are contraptions to help with this. Everything takes so long as many of you who have had surgery know. My time priorities will be about dressing and grooming. Eventually they'll get to include cooking. That will be so much fun. I have come to really appreciate good nutritious food - lots of bone building protein and the wonderful winter citrus. It tastes like a delicacy. Slowness helps one savor each bit.

Thank you so much for your blog comments and encouragements. I have been meaning to give you a wonderful definition of an"encourager" from Ruth Cowan. "An encourager" is one who INFUSES courage into another." I love this. It translates into so many areas of our lives. I have seen so well that ya'lls lavish praise, cheers, encouragements have made me WANT to do more. The opposite is true when you tell someone they'll not get where they want to be by not pushing .... you just don't want to try. SO for all you many many who have been my encouragers -- it has been what has pushed me when I'd rather stay under the covers.

Thank you again for your constant prayers. I still need them.

6 comments:

Jo Ann said...

Dear Cheryl,
I love it that you can put together a posting..that in itself is a new step! Way to go! You are a wonderful patient, who is very determined to do exactly what is asked of you. I am so, so proud of you for all your recovery improvements and steps forward. Keep up the good work; I shall keep up the prayers and the encouragement! You are fantastic!
Much love and many prayers, Jo Ann

Nancy said...

Dear Cheryl,
How great to hear from you. You are an encourager to me. That's all I can say right now. Your efforts and eloquence have rendered me silent.
Love Nancy

TechKnowledgy said...

Cheryl,

How wonderful to see your own postings the last couple of days! We continue to hold you up in our prayers and look forward to seeing each step of progress (or two or three) every time a new posting comes along.

Praise to the Great Physician! And for all those who have been helping you so far in this amazing recovery process.

Win and Kim

Jim and Karen Bouchard said...

Cheryl,
You're amazing, my friend, in so many ways: writing your own eloquent posts just two weeks from your surgery, living out your chose word "courage" and inspiring others even in the midst of your own challenges, and making wonderful progress in your recovery. You call them baby steps, but you're doing great! I miss seeing you in person, but Jim and I continue to pray for you and for Doug as he cares for you in this process.
Love you,
Karen

Helen said...

Dear Cheryl,
It was so good to read your own words and know that you had the energy to type them. I am so glad to hear of your determination to have a complete recovery. your description of going out your driveway struck a chord with me. Your gradual recovery reminds me of my MUCH less strenuous recovery from my two surgeries last summer. (Those operations too were my first time for surgery.) I started out from our garage and could only walk from there to the front door. I was able to increase the number of times I did this each day and was so proud to reach ten round trips. Sadly, I have lost my passion for fitness and plan to once again make it a priority in 2009.
Jack and I keep you in our prayers and know that God will do a mighty work through you and your recovery. Blessings!
Helen

Suellen said...

Dear Cheryl,

It's so awesome to read your own words and know that you are moving forward, step by step, in your recovery journey.

The wonderful thing about recovery is that you get to appreciate the little things so much more deeply.

So just keep acquiring all of those old (and now new again) life skills. Before you know it, everyday life will begin to feel familiar, but it will be better in so many ways!