Thursday, January 8, 2009

DATE WITH DOUG

Doctor's orders -- Doug and I are to go OUT for a meal together. I thought you can't be serious. I'm not even 3 weeks post op. So yesterday out we went. Many of you will be very happy with our food choices -- totally off the regime. Out choice was not so much the food as the accessibility of the front door, the crowd level and then the food. Our restaurant of choice was 5 Guys Burgers and Fries. YES!
WE chose against organic Thai just to make some of you happy that we had broken down at last. I had a juicy burger with the best fries in the world. If I had been Carissa I'd have had a great photo to make you all drool. After this we went beyond nutrition to a double chocolate yogurt cup. Is everyone happy with this?

The date started with learning to get into the car. Have you ever gotten into a car without moving your back - no twisting, bending etc? I'll let you ponder how to do it.

The drive was so familiar yet so lovely. The sky had the big puffy white clouds and lots of wind. I felt like a kid enjoying my senses.

My walking routine is 6x a day at least in my hallways is getting lackluster. The day was beautiful so we took off for Levelland Trail -- not the one in the mountains but the one outside my front door. The walk was so beautiful and so enjoyable.

As I knew rehab would be harder then signing the papers to agree to surgery. I wake up each morning aching knowing that most of the day will be the same way - achy. Everything is weak and trying to rebuild and the only way is to tax it and make it carry weight that it finds too much. I try different tricks to give myself gold stars. I write down each little hall walk, each rest period -- just things so that I see that I'm progressing. I am reminded that 3 weeks ago I could not roll over AT ALL in the hospital bed. Wish progress were like so much of life -- immediate. It is not and this process will be the long hard work of the whole thing.

As I look back on symptoms I was having but didn't realize what they were, I know now that my body was showing all the signs of collapsing. The doctor told us with all certainty that I would be wheelchair bound within 10 years and that breathing would be difficult and inadequate. I think of being in a wheelchair or worse confined to a bed to breath and know that whatever inconvenience and discomfort is minor compared to having a restricted life. I am so grateful to have humanly "stumbled" upon Dr. Horton (but divinely guided). My spine is one that the majority of ortho docs will not operate on. Dr. Horton is like a fighter pilot -- he only wants those that are challenges and that others won't touch. It is a great story of how I came to find him -- and I am so so grateful.

My "love-slave" (Doug) is fantastic. I've worked him pretty hard. The first couple days home his calfs burned from using the stairs at home so much. He is running things here so well -- all new stuff. He didn't even know where I kept clean sheets. He's been the pampered boy -- and now I'm getting to be the princess.

Pray for me to work hard and faithfully walking. It's not my favorite activity right now. Pray for the graft to be working and pray for me to slowly to be able to ween myself off the narcotics. I'm making progress with that but I'm not there yet -- too much discomfort still.

7 comments:

Jo Ann said...

Oh, Cheryl!! Your first date out!! Wow!! And burger and fries, no less!! I know you were thrilled, yet I know it must have been hard in places. Way to go!! You are so much ahead of schedule!! I am so very, very proud of you--all your hard work and all the planning you did to have yourself in such good shape before the surgery!! God is so good, and I praise Him (and you) for how well you are doing!!
Isn't it great to know that people all over the world are praying for you, and our WONDERFUL GOD is still in the miracle business!!
Much love and many prayers, Jo Ann

Melodie Fights Cancer said...

I am floored! You are doing such a great job with sticking to your doctor's orders. Heck yeah- eat a burger and fries- you've earned it!

Today is such a beautiful day and I am glad you got to go out and enjoy it. Hopefully we will have many more sunny days like today and you will be able to walk a little bit further each time you go outside.

Enjoy reading your blogs-wonderful idea. We are praying for you. Your attitude has been amazing!

BTW- Jason and I are going to take the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University. Got get that debt under control before it totally controls me!
Love, Rachel

Beth Herzinger said...

miss cheryl,

the news of outings this early floors me. totally dumbfounded and amazed am i. god is good.

and, i wish carissa had been a fly on the wall to take pictures of you and mr. doug chowing down on delicious sloppy hamburgers. [that is a mental picture that really cracks me up.]

i will continue to pray that the walkings will somehow become more eventful and good for you, and that the pain will begin to become manageable without those big ole drugs!

much love. again, much love,


beth

Chad and Becky said...

I am proud of you--enjoying that burger and fries! :-)

Love you!
Becky

Connie said...

WOW!!! Some doctor! I need his name so he can give US orders to go on a date!!! How very wonderful! It must give you extra encouragement to know that this is now possible.
The meal and dessert sounded so yummy.
Thank you, Cheryl for reminding me of the many senses we take for granted too often.
I pray your weekend is especially blessed and that if the rumors are true, CBC will be seeing you Sunday!
I love you!!
Love in Christ,
Connie

Anonymous said...

YAY Cheryl!! I'm so thrilled with the progress you're making! And I'm so proud of your sticking with the torture of rehab monotony!

I remember my first day out after my first surgery - after weeks in my hallways and through monitored bathroom breaks, we took a trip to Wal-Mart for hand lotion (or something monumentally "important" like that!) It was tiring, humbling, scarey, but oh what a wonderful world of discovery in the scooter cart! (Love those things!!)
My recovery then, and recovery now, were made miraculous by your prayers. I'm praying FOR YOU Cheryl and rejoice at God's ability to heal quickly, but choice to heal slowly sometimes so we'll marvel at life and relationships (and french fries!)

Walking the hallways with you in heart and in body ;) Melanie C

Karen said...

Burgers, fries and DOUBLE CHOCOLATE!! Yes, I AM proud! That's better than syrup. What beautiful posts you make! I can imagine that your hallway is looking rather dull. So glad you could get out and see the world a bit. Must've felt like a prisoner escaping. That the world has gone on without you a bit. But don't fret over it, it will all be there when you are ready to ease back into the fray. Enjoy your time of rest. It IS rest -- not just from this massive surgery, but from many duties and efforts and responsibilities. All of that will come again, but this time of quiet rest won't. Enjoy it. And go eat another burger! xxoo