Tuesday, February 3, 2009

1st POST OP APPT

Yesterday was my long awaited 1st Post Op appt. It went fantastic and was a great encouragement to me. The thing I wanted to see the most was those metal rods. The xray in my world was beautiful. I immediately came home to see the previous xrays. One can almost not believe the difference and the pictures let you see them too.

The doctor said I was far "ahead of the game". These were also words I wanted to hear. I attribute it to God's hand on me through your prayers. As I said earlier I have felt them in the most comfortable and comforting way likening it to floating. I truly do not believe many who have walked in my shoes have been cared for to the degree and with the tenderness that I have. The prayers are more then I will ever know. I have been tended to by God's people in His body and in my family. The cards... I could have started a store :). The emails let me be with you while I recovered. The meals upon meals have healed my struggling body. Thank you to all who read this.

What's next? There are many small steps ahead. I can drive... but carefully. There is to be no twisting. I am starting rehab: light weights, more walking, stationary bike, swimming, stretching. The swimming sounds crazy but I'll try. I still have to pace myself a lot. My body is trying to repair itself and needs a combination of working it and resting it. It is inch by inch.

I mistakenly thought I would be able to see some bone growth but was told not to expect any til after 3 months. Rats. Yes - I'm overzealous. I also asked about my memory and was told with the length of my surgery it would be about 3 months for all the anesthesia to leave and my memory to be as it was ..... for what it is worth :)

As you can see yesterday was a great day. The docs I saw were all super encouraging and said I was one tough lady. I kind of laughed because I don't see myself that way -- I just want to get better and to have a strong body. I can now say I am grateful that I had the surgery and for what God has ahead for me. To take me through something so "massive" (the common word used by the docs) is an indication to me that God has good stuff waiting! YEA!!

9 comments:

Amy Savage said...

Hi Cheryl, it is amy the hygienist from Dr. Hodges and Kings office. My mom is scheduled to see Dr. Horton March 16 for a consult concerning the same surgery. I have been visiting your blog and know that your success is miraculous. You are a blessed woman with a great attitude. I can only hope and pray that my mom will have a good result. She is a tough lady too. You are in my prayers, love, Amy

Bob Creson said...

What amazing pictures, Cheryl! I can imagine that yesterday was a very encouraging day. Looking forward to seeing Doug later today.

Bob (and Dallas)

Beth Hz. said...

this news is so encouraging, and sounds nice to my ears and makes my heart downright elated.

i am happy for you.

keep up the good work, and we'll continue to pray for you as you put one foot in front of the other on this journey.

your pal,

beth

Sandy Huff said...

Oh, I have been wanting to see your x-ray. It is wonderful. I know you thrilled the doctors, as they like for their work to be good! So glad that you can now get out a little and move around more. It's wonderful that you have actually felt our prayers.
Sandy

Mavis said...

Cheryl, you are one amazing woman, and of course, we have one amazing God behind it all! You are still in my prayers.

Nancy said...

wow!
Love nancy

Amy Savage said...

Cheryl, I met with my mom to give her your before and after x-ray. She is very impressed and anxious to hear every update on your progress. She is of course unsure she has the stamina it takes. She is 10years older and getting short fast! She is a real fighter.We are both thrilled it is behind you and pray for your continued success. What a great family and group of friends you have! Love,
AmySavage425@aol.com

Melodie Fights Cancer said...

AWESOME! Congratulations on the driving and physical therapy. You are making expedient progress. Looking forward to seeing you soon. I will have a big bowling ball for a belly.

Connie said...

Dearest Cheryl,
YEAH!!!! What Blessings God has poured upon you and for all of the ones caring and praying for you! The news of your 1st post-op appointment is an answer to payer.
Along with so many others, my prayers will continue to go up for your continued healing, strength, wisdom, peace, joy, and love!
Give Doug a hug for me!
Love in Christ,'
Connie