Monday, February 23, 2009

CHERYL PUMPS.....SALT?

2 MONTHS POST OP
It is easy for me to forget just how far I've come. This weekend I re-read my surgery journal and was reminded of those early days of not being able to even roll over or lift my head. I needed help for everything. I needed to be reminded of this because I easily get bummed that I have little energy, endurance or muscle strength.

Last week I worked on the exercise bike and lifting some hand weights. The limit on the bike is to be 20 minutes and only 3-4x week. I did it on Thursday and it is now Monday and my quads still are screaming. I had no idea that I would have to start over completely. I am to lift weights for my upper body. Guess what my limit is -- a salt box.... thus the photo.

So much of long surgery and slow rehab has been a mystery to me. I am 2 months post op and I foolishly thought I'd be back to my normal strength and energy. Not even close! I'm learning to look at the week and make choices of how much I can do. Going to the grocery store is a big deal. Yesterday I went and wouldn't you know one the objects I wanted was on the bottom shelf. My flexibility is sparse. I can barely barely reach my knees BUT I am told that at 12 months I might touch my toes -- and will be able to capture all the good tuff on the bottom shelfs. You all know the bargains are not at waist level but are on the bottom shelves.

If you're a prayer, I would appreciate prayers for developing muscle strength and to be persistent. It's hard but oh the results will be so wonderful.

9 comments:

Nancy said...

you will probably be surprised at how quickly you begin to progress...that exponential factor will kick in. Sorry I missed dinner last week. Mexico was wonderful!

Keep pumpin!

Jim and Karen Bouchard said...

Cheryl,
You're doing great. I envision you back at the gym pumping iron and touching your toes. It will happen.

Chad and Becky said...

keep it up! you've come so far!!

Bob Creson said...

Hey, Cheryl, we are praying. You can do this, and we're cheering you on!

Angelina said...

Dearest cheryl,
WOW!!! Swimming!!! PUMPING SALT!!! At least you found a good way to use salt!!!
I know how hard, slow, and discouraging recovery can be. Hang in there, it will come. In no time at all (seems like forever now) you'll look back on this period in your life and it will at seem sooooo long ago.
Can't wait to see you TALL!
Love in Christ,
Connie

Sandy Huff said...

I agree -- can't believe that you are able to swim at all (with all the new hardware weighing down your body). You put me to shame, as I can hardly swim without extra hardware and spinal surgery. You looked so pretty when I saw you. I think you have done so much in such a short period of time (I know it doesn't seem short to you). Take care...so that you can come back to us. Sandy

Melodie Fights Cancer said...

Hey- it was great seeing you today. You look wonderful and happy. It will be no time before you lifting more than a salt shaker.

Suellen said...

I'm so proud of you. You are so brave to keep trying all of these things with your new body. You're really showing us that you're worth your salt. heh, heh. Get it? Keep up the good work, girl!

Helen said...

Cheryl,
You are so disciplined but I will pray that you are consisent in pumping your salt. Soon it will be a bag of sugar! You are amazing!!