Friday, December 19, 2008

the wisdom of good friends

Just writing one last post for the evening. I'll try to write again tomorrow afternoon from the hospital.

Today was a difficult day. But we expected a difficult day, and we expect the same tomorrow. Mom's doctor told her to expect to feel positively horrible for about the first three days after surgery.

So we're right on schedule.

Although it's hard to see Mom in pain, I have to admit that I am enjoying my role in her caregiving. After years of being nurtured and looked after by Mom, I am getting to mother her a little. I have kissed Mom's face many dozens of times over the past two days. Watching what she is going through just melts my heart and makes me want to cheer her on in any way I can.

Here's a wonderful blessing that "fell into place" marvelously tonight. A few weeks ago I was putting together a short list of women to sleep overnight at the hospital beside Mom's bed. One of Mom's dear friends, Sandra, volunteered to stay over on Friday night. It just so happens that Sandra is a skilled nurse and has special experience dealing with orthopedic patients.

When Sandra arrived tonight to take over Cheryl-care, I saw Mom visibly relax. In her quietly nurturing way, Sandra offered a number of small gestures of care to Mom that none of us had the presence of mind to offer her.

These gestures were not terribly academic or technical. Sandra was there to be a friend to Mom, not her professional nurse. But those little touches brought real comfort. Cool compresses to soothe Mom's feverish forehead. Ice chips to calm her irritated throat. Mom said several times, "Oh, Sandra. I'm so glad you're here."

When we put together the schedule, I had no idea how wonderful it would be to have someone like Sandra keeping watch for the first night at the hospital. It just happened that way. Dad also felt relieved to have Sandra staying with Mom tonight. I know Mom is going to sleep well tonight with Sandra by her side. The one person who probably will not sleep well in this equation is, of course, Sandra...

By the way, the photo above was taken in a small chapel in the hospital where Mom is recuperating. There's an altar near the front of the chapel with a blank book in which patients and family members may write their prayers. I found some of the prayers in the book to be very touching.

More tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jo Ann said...

Dear Ones,
I know our dear friend Sandra is just the perfect person to care for Cheryl tonight also. Not only being Cheryl's dear friend, but also as you stated with her great nursing skills. She is in the best of hands. I'm so glad Cheryl was able to relax and be encouraged to have Sandra by her side. We will continue to pray that God will ease her pain, and that His GREAT LOVE will see her through each hour. Praying Cheryl will have enough pain medicine to sleep well tonight, and you too dear Carissa.
Thanks for keeping us so well informed. You are certainly making it much easier on those of us who love and care for her--just be letting us know each step of her recovery. Love and prayers, Jo Ann

Suellen said...

It's such a relief to hear the good news of Cheryl's successful surgery and impressive recovery. I know that she's wrapped in her warm blanket of security and trust as those she loves surround her with their hearts and spirits.

I'm thinking of you often, Cheryl, and smiling because I know that God is especially found of you.

Stay strong as you do what must be done.

Suellen