Friday, December 26, 2008

Marks on the wall

A strange image for today. I went into Mom and Dad's bathroom this afternoon and took a (very amateurish) photo of the wall. The reason? Mom had marked her height on the wall twice in the months leading up to the surgery.

I added red arrows in PhotoShop to highlight the marks. Working from the bottom up, here's what the arrows indicate:
(lowest) Mom's height at the time of surgery
(middle) Mom's height about six months before surgery (we note that she lost about half an inch of height in just that short period of time)
(highest) Mom's present height with her new and improved back.

Dad measured the distance today from the lowest mark to the tallest mark. The difference? 3 1/8" inches. Wow. That's 79 millimeters for my European friends out there. It's amazing to see what happens when you straighten out a twisted, collapsing spine. Mom is now 5'9".

She's had another good day. Praise the Lord. It had been a few days since we checked in with "fan emails," so today I spent some time at Mom's bedside, reading your emails to her. She was so touched by your words that she cried. Thanks to each of you who have written to express your affection for Mom in such a heartfelt way.

I'm preparing to leave town until Monday night, so updates to the blog will be a bit sporadic until I'm back. To be honest, I can hardly wait to see all that Mom is doing when I'm back. I predict she'll be showing off her favorite yoga poses.

Prayer for today:
(1) Pray that Mom would be diligent in getting up to do her walking exercises. She can walk short distances, but it wears her out quite a lot. So, please pray that she will "get tough" in this area.
(2) We covet your continued prayers for success in the bone graft. We won't know until Mom's first post-operative check-up in early February whether the graft has worked completely. We'd like to just blanket this area in continued prayer.
(3) Mom is in an interesting space in her recovery. She's not really ready to be social. She's not interested in sleeping all day and all night. She's not interested in watching TV or in surfing the computer — the stimulation feels a little overwhelming. So she's spending a lot of time with her thoughts. She mentioned last night that she'd like to take her experience with the surgery and do something useful with it. She is reflecting on ways to give creative expression to her experience. Maybe this means writing about what she's learned. Maybe it means connecting with families facing the same surgery and advising them on what to expect. We don't know. But, we'd appreciate your prayers for Mom's thoughts during this recuperation time.

Praise:
(1) Mom's pain is less pronounced today. Hallelujah!
(2) We continue to have so much support from Mom's community. Church friends, Bible study friends, gym friends, friends of friends of friends... People around the world are praying for Mom and rooting for her. I can honestly say that feeling all your support is really helping us here on the "front lines" of Mom's caregiving. I guess it's a little weird for you out there in Blog-land to thank God for you, but I certainly thank God for you!

10 comments:

Dave and Barbie said...

Happy Boxing Day, Cheryl! (That is the day, in the British Commonwealth, when folks give boxes, or gifts, to the postman, the milkman, the person who cares for your cat when you are away...). In your case, however, it sounds like you are doing so well that you could be boxing in the ring soon! How you must miss Carissa this weekend...I sure miss her when she isn't writing about you.
Christmas in Colorado was hectic but fun. We had 13 for dinner at our house (not including four dogs with muddy paws!) By 1 AM this morning, I was tired and my back hurt. But I smiled, because I knew someone ELSE whose back hurt who was being very brave about it! I am so proud of you doing your exercises and walking, even though you get tired. Did they take care of the anemia? It will certainly make you tired!

I hope that the nights are more restful and that you are encouraged by the fast healing. It has, by the way, only been 8 days since the surgery! Good work.

We just got Skye (free internet long distance with the purchase of an inexpensive video camera for the computer.) Maybe when you get better you could have Carissa hook you up so you could chat with friends!

We love you and are praying and praying...
Dave and Barbie Schoeman

Dave and Barbie said...

Coerrection...
that would be SKYPE, not Skye.
Barbie

Sandy Huff said...

Cheryl: I can't imagine you being 5'9" -- that is TALL! You are going to make me feel like a short, fat midget. I can't wait to see your face and hear your sweet voice (always my favorite part about you since 2001 when we met.) Since you are doing so well, maybe you will be able to come back to WIS sooner (I know, I know...very selfish wish on my part.)

Karen said...

Wow, Cheryl, you are back to your original 5'9" -- A-MAZ-ING!! You are truly a profile in courage... and perseverance.

So when does the moratorium end on visits and such? I'm about tired of this blog, good as it is, no offense. Just ready to see your sweet face in person. :-)

Mary Ann Miller said...

aaa

Mary Ann Miller said...

Cheryl, I finally reset my password. Even though you haven't heard from me, God has heard many prayers---both praises and request on your behalf. Can you believe that you are back to your old height? How wonderful is that!!! I love you dear one. You are so special! Take care of yourself as God heals your body. Love, Mary Ann

Connie said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! You are now TALLER than ME!!! I am so very excited for you!
We'll be in Atlanta in April, and I still want the four of us to have dinner together! Can't wait to see the NEW you!
I continue to lift you and ALL your "caregivers" up to our Father. He is doing mighty things with you, Cheryl. I am eager to find out what path you take in sharing your journey with others.
However you do it, God will bless those you touch.
I LOVE the blog and keeping up with your progress.
Love you, my SWEET Sister!
Love in Christ,
Connie

Beth Herzinger said...

Miss Cheryl,

I am amused by my mother.

She calls almost every day to tell me how she is trying to post to your blog.

I'm glad to see she is figuring it out.

I've been thinking about you lots, saying prayers for you, and hoping you are getting deep rest.

Love you,


Beth

Dave and Barbie said...

Cheryl,
As I read Carissa's comment about how you, at this point in your recovery, are alone with your thoughts, I decided to write a poem to you and about your steps in your deepening relationship with the Lord. Here it is...
Dave

"Mom's Thoughts, Perhaps"

Harmony of head and heart,
Shine through me Christ, Glorious Light.
Patience through pain granteth me
Thoughts of love, whom Thou art.

Giving God thanks, Dr. Doug's wife,
fragrant melody from King David's harp
for children granted dear sweet Jesus
the Way, Truth and Life.

"Who do you say I am?" Christ asked.
How do I answer Thee now?
Sacred desire of the nations
not ashamed and have not masked.

Holy Spirit, eternal life sealed,
Christ's shed blood, body broken,
Living hope, living Word
By His stripes Cheryl is healed."

Karen said...

I have to share what Andrew said when he saw the photo of the marks on the wall: "3 INCHES!! Whoa!" 13-year old boys on the cusp of puberty know the value of an added three inches in height! Can't wait to hug your restored tallness! No need for high heels now! Ha ha.