Saturday, December 13, 2008

COUNTDOWN

We're finally nearing the day of surgery. It seemed far out there when we made the decision but now it is at our doorstep --4 days off on Dec 18th. My days have been filled with many doctor appointments. Each one had the possibility of knocking the surgery date out. I am so thankful that each one was fine. The one lingering thing is the huge amount of colds and flu going around. I have asked the Lord many times to protect me from this.

Doug and I saw the surgeon on Monday. It was a wonderful appointment. He spelled out what he would do. His final words were-- the surgery will last anywhere from 7-12 hours and we won't stop until it is perfect. This terminology is different from most surgeons who say ... we will do the very best we can. We have heard from no less then 25 people what an incredible surgeon Dr. Horton is with outstanding results. Only 4 doctors in the US do the procedure he does it. People travel from all over to have him do their surgery. We will be traveling 8 miles! Yes -- 8 miles. God is good.

How are we feeling? We are doing well. We are trusting God to take both of us through the unknown with His peace and His strength. Yes it is massive but we cannot change that. Doug and I have often said that the patient has it easier then the family & loved ones. There is a lot of truth in this.

What will I be doing after surgery? Getting my strength back and learning how to move in a new way. I know much of my time will be to walk and walk and walk. At first I will walk around the house only. Walking is the best promoter of bone growth. At first it will take all the energy I have. The nerves and muscles in my back will be cut so the only things I have to use are my my arms and legs. The polymyalgia rhumatica I contracted in February is still lingering -- leaving my arms and legs aching and stiff. This will be a challenge since I will need them. I am asking God for grace upon grace to carry me through and to surprise me with His care through my recovery. Please join me. Other concerns that I know of are infection and necessary bone growth. My spine will have a bone stimulating material put between each vertebrae from T5 to the sacrum as well as one long rod with screws thru my vertebra into this rod. The rod is to stabilize my spine while the spine fuses. This will eventually fuse into one bone. I will need to relearn how to move since I cannot twist or bend my back. It can be done and I will learn.

This is about all I know for now. Carissa and Doug will update the blog often so check in there. Please please leave posts as these will be your communication gifts to me.

Cheryl

5 comments:

Mary Ann Miller said...

Hope this goes through. Loveyou. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Miller said...

Cheryl, I finally did it!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you. I love the word Courage. Watching our grandchildren, I realize that courage comes sometimes by being with someone who loves you and will protect you. God is always with us and He is faithful to protect, to show wonderful mercy, to love us and grant us His courage. Know too that many of us are standing in the gap for you with tons of prayers. You are loved--by Jesus and by us. Much love, Mary Ann

Unknown said...

Cheryl,

My very first comment, (Andy assisted), yeah! I feel like an astronaut.

I wanted to mention that I have a walker if you need to borrow it. I used it many years ago after having foot surgery. (I don't "do" crutches). It would provide some stability for you when you start trying to walk; however, it will depend on what your doctor advises. Just know that it is here for the asking.

I am praying that all your family arrives safely and without any problems, and I pray that you make some good memories over these next few days, holding each other near and dear.

You are loved,
Your WIS sister, Margie Merillat

Ruth and Don said...

Hello friend, What a wonderful idea to have this place where we can "meet" and share your life with you--especially during these days. Know that we are standing with you every step of the way--in our thoughts, in our prayers, and with all of our hearts! Sending love, Ruth

Karen said...

You have been on my mind so much this week. I'll be busy doing something then I'll get a jolt and think, oh, Cheryl's surgery is two days away... or OH IT'S TOMORROW! I woke up this morning saying a little prayer for you. Now the time is almost here. A door to walk through, never to look back, courage for a new beginning in spinal health and other facets of life as well. We are all praying for you!