Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Seeking your favorite funny movies...

In some ways, we are already fast-forwarding to the time after Mom's surgery is complete and she is recovering at home.

One of the things we want to do is load her Netflix queue with tons of funny movies. It's important, you know, as her spine heals, that she exercise the funny bone (heh. Amazing — I don't get paid for this stuff! It just flows!).

If you have a favorite funny movie you think Mom would enjoy, let us know in the comments. (Note that you will be asked to sign in through a Google/Gmail account if you don't have one already.)

I'm already thinking of some favorites. Some of them Mom has seen, but some she probably hasn't. Above, from left to right: Fletch, The Incredibles, The Jerk, Peter Sellers in one of the many Pink Panther movies where things don't quite according to plan, and a very young bunch of Ghostbusters.

9 comments:

Jo Ann said...

Carissa, this is a very cute article. I love the way you write. I know Cheryl will enjoy a lot of funny movies, and this will help heal, as well as pass the time. Thanks again for all your work on her behalf. You're a dear. Love, Jo Ann

CathyDaniell said...

I've thought of some movies Cheryl might enjoy..."The Scarlet Pimpernel", with Anthony Andrews, Ian McKellan, and Jane Seymour. "What's Up Doc?" with Barbara Streisand and Ryan O'Neal. Cary Grant movies...my favorites are "Charade" with Audrey Hepburn and "To Catch a Thief" with Grace Kelly. I also like the fairly recent Mel Gibson movie "Maverick"

CathyDaniell said...

Also, we love the "Jeeves and Wooster" series, based on the hilarious books by P.G.Wodehouse. We have 3 boxed VHS sets if you ever want to borrow them! Hours of hilarity!

Carissa C. said...

These are terrific suggestions, Cathy... thank you!

Karen said...

Well, of course, I'm going to recommend "A Room with A View." HA!! Do you remember THAT 20+ years ago? (Ah, glad to not be so rash and ridiculous any more!)

Carissa C. said...

OK, I'm probably opening up a heated dispute here, but that turned out to be one of my favorite movies of that whole decade. The beautiful Italian countryside! Maggie Smith's unbending English decorum! The fabulous operatic soundtrack!

Of course, I can see why Dad didn't like it. He's more of a Patton guy.

Karen said...

Oh, it's funny now, but your parents just HATED that movie! Didn't get it at ALL and I felt soooo stooo-pid! At this point, I think I'll recommend... "To Kill A Mockingbird." That movie is a true classic. I never get tired of watching it. Much safer than English countryside, some guy hanging off a tree singing about true love and Helena Bonham Carter banging out her frustration on a piano. Sigh. Makes perfect sense to me!

Unknown said...

What About Bob
Any Christopher Guest (though they can be a little...ouvre?)
Groundhog Day
City Slickers
My Cousin Vinny
Little Miss Sunshine
Juno
Mrs. Doubtfire
Fish Called Wanda
Three Amigos
Singing in the Rain
Meet Me in St. Louis
Easter Parade
Parenthood
Fargo
Big
Ratatouille
Napoleon Dynamite
Rushmore
Much Ado About Nothing
(Christmas) Vacation
Father of the Bride
Calendar Girls
Amelie
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Uncle Buck
Elf
Raising Arizona

jjrowe said...

Raising Arizona (favorite!)
Almost Famous
Swingers