Friday, November 28, 2008

MY WORD THIS YEAR.


Last year Carissa told me about a new idea in place of a New Year's Resolution. I always mean well with these but alas -- they soon are forgotten. The new idea is choosing just ONE word, one word to focus on all year. This year with all this, I have chosen "COURAGE". I have made 2 little signs with this word - one for the hospital and one for my bedside. I've also made a list of things to check off as I accomplish them. You won't believe what's on this list -- things like lifting a coffee cup, drying my hair myself, putting on socks(way down the line), putting a shirt over my head,rolling over in bed UNASSISTED, getting out of bed all by myself. The list has about 40 things and ends with great things like: driving myself, cooking dinner, walking outside.

3 comments:

Carissa C. said...

I will admit I didn't make this idea up -- it came from a singer/songwriter I like a lot (Christine Kane). If you want to read more about coming up with your own word of the year, you can find Christine's thoughts here.

Karen said...

Cheryl,
I'm doing some cooking today. The mother of a boy on Nathan's basketball team is dying of cancer and I'm making their little family a meal. I hope they like it, that the food will be a little bit of comfort. There is a cookbook I LOVE, called Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader. It is the most beautiful, useful and creative cookbook I've ever owned. I'm making Puny's mac & cheese, if you remember the characters.

Through the book, among the recipes, Bible verses, book excerpts, pictures and personal memories, are quotes from various sources and I wanted to share one with you, because it reminds me of your deep faith and your outreach to others:

"I possess God as tranquility in the bustle of my kitchen... as if I were on my knees before the Blessed Sacrament... It is not necessary to have great things to do. I turn my little omelet in the pan for the love of God... When I cannot do anything else, it is enough for me to have lifted a straw from the earth for the love of God." -- Brother Lawrence (1611-1691)

Paul Wright said...

Cheryl,

I love your word and like the concept of placing it on signs as an encouragement and prompt. How often have I reminded myself in prayer that God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind?

And yet so often, like the cowardly lion, we're tripped up by the smallest of fears. I think, when faced with a truly daunting task, such as your surgery and convalescence, the key is to tackle it in small steps as you propose. Each task complete will be an encourgagement for the next. With checkmarks down the page you'll step from victory to victory and before you know it you'll be walking and moving like a natural woman. And we, your family and friends, will be there with you, amazed at what you've done and all the courage you've shown along the way.

God's speed,

Paul