Friday, November 28, 2008

WHY I'M GOING THROUGH ALL THIS


They say a picture is worth a thousand words. If you can take it here is a photo of the xray of my spine. It not only twists from side to side in an "S" shape but the whole spine is rotated. The surgery will place a metal rod in my spine and screws will be connected through vertebra into the metal rod. In addition to this they will take some bone from my pelvis and mix it with bone stimulator material. It is pretty amazing that I can be spared being eventually contorted and wheel-chair bound. I am so grateful and willing to go through the long recovery to STAND TALL. They say I should be 2" taller. Thank you for your concern in tangible ways. I feel greatly blessed to have such an incredible support team. I know for a fact, because my doctor tells me this, that I could not go through all this without Doug, Carissa and my supporters.

5 comments:

Jo Ann said...

Dear Cheryl,
I had heard from others who had seen your X-ray, that it was simply unbelievable. As I had not seen it, I could only picture it in my mind. However now, it looks so painful to me, and it's hard to believe that you are able to stand, let alone do all the many, many things you do to further God's kingdom, as well as love and encourage your body (CBC) and your friends. You are such a shining example of what a righteous person is, and I know God is using you in so many different ways. I know He will use this for His glory, especially as we all watch you as you put your trust in Him for all that happens. I'm excited for you to be "tall and straight", and I offer you my help in any and every way possible. You can also count on me to be praying for you regularly, as I always do, but I will "turn on the heat" for more and longer ones during this process. Much love and many prayers, Jo Ann

Karen said...

Whoa! I too have been wondering for awhile what your spine actually looked like. Now I see. How to describe... amazing and terrible at the same time. Truly, how have you functioned at all, much less go and do all you do?? I guess then, from what you said, you will have the hardware in your spine for the rest of your life? You will never be able to bend your back? I know, the trade-off for STANDING TALL. How wonderful that this surgeon chose to conquer this particular medical problem as his life work. YOU WILL BE BETTER!! I love you and I'm praying for you. You have a "cloud of witnesses" standing tall behind you.

Karen said...

Cheryl & Carissa,
Don't suppose you remember 21 years ago last night, when we dined on your porch...! Or 21 years ago today, when we all gathered at good old SMCC for a weddin' with mauve dresses and matching shoes and vows before God and Doug and everybody else... Hard to believe, huh?! Thanks for being a part of our lives! xxoo

Carissa C. said...

21 years! Well, it's great to hear that your marriage is past that awkward teenager stage and stepping into maturity :) Congratulations, and thanks for letting us be a part of your lives.
- carissa

p.s. I totally loved those mauve dresses. Taffeta. Does my memory fail me, or do I recall a big old bow in the back, too?

Karen said...

Oh yeah, the big bow in the back. It was 1987, after all!!