Thursday, June 24, 2010

YEAR #2 -- REBUILDING





I am still working on getting back to normal. Silly me thought the magic of one year post op would have me just like new. Not So!

Yes, I am all new but I didn't realize that my muscles and joints would need renovation as much as my spine! I asked questions to everyone from doctors, physical therapists, trainers who might know something about what my body had experienced and why, why, why was I so inflexible, my muscles so nonexistent, my joints horribly stiff. Much of the first year was spent in my spine fusing and stabilizing. I was limited in my movements in order to protect this new back. Once that was complete the next step would have to be in rebuilding my muscles and becoming more flexible.

I spoke to Jean Youngblood, my surgeon's clinical nurse, about my confusion with what I should be doing and how much. She worked with Dr. Horton for nearly 20 years and KNOWS it all. She has become a wonderful friend and our lives have grown together in areas having nothing to do with my surgery. She is one incredible woman! I had lunch with her a month ago and she said, "Cheryl, you're fused! You can do whatever your body will let you do. You must now get body strong." That was what I needed to hear. The strength to gain was for me to make happen. It would not happen on it's own. In addition to my need to rebuilt muscle, I had issues with instability when walking. This would take as long as 5 years to improve. Jean told me the reason being that my body had functioned one way for 64 years and it wouldn't change overnight. So, this is the year of working on my body. It's to the gym daily, exercises at home, walking, swimming etc. These bodies of ours and don't run without our investing time in them.

7 comments:

惠邱邱邱邱雯 said...

良言一句三冬暖,惡語傷人六月寒。................. ................................................

Christ is My Hope said...

you rock, girl! keep up the awesome encouragement!

Unknown said...

Jia you!
Nice to see the determination.

http://www.kids-christmas-activities.com/?hop=nikkijoy

Jodie Stewart said...

That is an amazing story you have Cheryl!
My best friend Sheena had to have back surgery as well when she was 14 years old and it was one of the best things that has ever happened to her! Your strength is very admirable and I completely agree that we have to treat our bodies with respect and dignity to ensure good health and happiness.

:) congratulations!

Art said...

I read your Blog and all I can say is WOW! you are truely an inspiring person. God's Blessing have helped you along the way to your recovery. We all think that we have it so bad until we read or hear of someone who has it alot worse, then things are really not that bad. I am praying for you to keep recovering and be blessed.

dranderson said...

I love to stay at your blog u have done great job thanks for sharing God bless u .
Usmle Step 2 Books

Unknown said...

Forex Trading Business News updates, Brokers Directory News updates, Latest Currency news updates, latest forex trading business updates, trading updates, forex trading latest news, forex brokers directory, forex brokers list, Dollars news affairs, Stock Markets, stock market news, stock market analysis, technology news, international forex markets, international forex business news and all updates about Forex Trading
ForexAffairs.blogspot.com