Tuesday, August 11, 2009

AMAZING DOCTOR REPORT

You will love this post! My spine is 95% fused. I saw my surgeon yesterday for my 8 month appt. I had a CAT scan and xrays. In my mind I thought we'd see more "fuzz" and be told to keep up the protein consumption.

The doctor walked in with copies of my scan and xrays. He showed us the bone growth which was incredible. He said you are 95% fused! I had to have him repeat it because to me it wasn't possible yet. He answered a few questions and said he didn't need to see me for 12 months. WHAT -- we're done?

What are my limitations -- no boxing, no wrestling, no basketball, no tennis, no sky diving i.e. nothing with contact. No problem with these. Other then these I can do whatever I want and am able to do.

I sat in the room with Doug thinking.. we're done? No diploma. No certificate of promotion to re-enter life. It caught me totally by surprise that the world of scoliosis had been defeated in me.

What are my emotions like? I am one very grateful woman. I have had it easy compared to many. My recovery has been very
"textbook", smooth and uneventful. The prayers joined to God's heart have taken me to where and who I now am. I have learned a lot about myself and about the role of being a cheerleader for others. The Lord continues to give me ones coming behind me in surgery and it is a joy and privilege to encourage them and help them take their steps forward.

1 comment:

Ruth Hubbard said...

Celebrating with you and humming pomp and circumstance as I think of this fantastic graduation of sorts!!