Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Summit

Wonder what this picture is about? I feel in a way that the worst is behind me, and that I have crested the summit. However as the fans of Jon Krakauer know (Into Thin Air), going down is difficult too.

The last 10 days have been different -- good different. The plodding seemed to be the same day after day and then about a week ago I realized I had a little more energy, a little more strength. I waited a few days before I made my conclusion. I indeed felt more like I used to. I kept smiling all day saying to myself -- I am healing. This recovery might not take the rest of my life.

Do I still experience pain and discomfort? Yes indeed, but a little less. I am able to do things all day long and not feel like crashing at 1 PM. I'm swimming (glorious) and use an exercise bike (not as much fun). I'm driving daily, cooking, doing the laundry (using a "grabber" to transfer clothes), going to church, working & heading back to a full day,and enjoying life much more.

A big day coming up is next Monday, April 13. I will see my surgeon and see if the bone graft has begun. This is the 4 month mark. Apparently the first signs of growth on xray are little bits of fuzz. What does one do to help promote bone growth -- eat lots of protein and I mean lots. My goal has been 100 gm a day. An FYI - an egg is only 5 gm. It is very difficult to hit this mark but most days I come pretty close.

I'll let you know how the appt goes on Monday.

I know you all have been praying. Thank you for not slowing up as I've improved. I feel your prayers and they are my underpinning. May God bless you.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

very encouraging! however, can't imagine having to eat that much protein....wonderful to have you at bible study last tuesday!
Love and hugs Nancy

Bob Creson said...

Great news, Cheryl. We'll look forward to the report on Monday. Happy Easter, He is risen!